Baby Cotton dk by 'Peter Pan'- yarn review with 2 free patterns
Peter Pan’s baby cotton dk is a cotton mix made in the UK.
- 50% cotton, 50% polyester
- It comes in 100g balls with 160m per ball.
- The rrp is $4.50 a ball, from knittingco.com.au.
- Peter Pan Baby Cotton has a needle/hook recommendation of 3.75mm – 4mm.
- Gauge – 10″ x 10″ equals 31 rows by 22 stitches.
- There are only a few pale colours available at KnittingCo. Not sure if others are available anywhere else.
- The label recommends a warm machine wash and a cool tumble dry.
- Peter Pan Baby Cotton is labelled as a dk weight yarn, but I find it is closer to a worsted weight or 10ply.
I crocheted a baby bonnet and headband with the Peter Pan Baby Cotton, this colour is called lilac grey.
- despite the recommendation for a smaller hook I found a 5mm hook more comfortable.
- I’ve never crocheted with a cotton/polyester mix before and I found it very nice to crochet with.
- It has more stretch than an all cotton yarn.
- It is a soft cotton and gives a beautiful soft result to the finished product. I can definitely see why it is a baby yarn.
- It’s a little disappointing that the Peter Pan Baby Cotton have very limited colours though.
- The yarn will split if you are not careful, but I didn’t find it too bad.
You will find the free pattern for baby bonnet and twist headband if you click on the links. Both are very simple patterns and very enjoyable to crochet. I loved the end result of both! The pattern for the headband is for a very stretchy yarn. Because I used the Peter Pan Baby Cotton I have changed the instructions somewhat. The pattern suggests making the headband 3″ shorter than the measurement for head circumference. I made it 1″ shorter because there is not the same amount of stretch in this yarn.
I used a cold wash and the air dry setting on my dryer to dry the Peter Pan Baby Cotton.
- I used the air drying setting for about an hour and than I finished off the drying just left out of the dryer.
- The finish was lovely and soft and any mama would be happy to put these items on their little one.