Calypso by Sirdar is a 100% cotton yarn made in England.
- It comes in 50g balls with 106m per ball.
- It sells for approximately $5 a ball at knittingco.com.au
- A 4mm crochet hook or knitting needles is recommended.
- Gauge – 10″ x 10″ equals 28 rows by 22 stitches.
- Knitting Co sells 12 colours of the Sirdar Calypso cotton.
- The label recommends a warm machine wash and it is dry cleanable.
- The label marks the weight of Calypso as a double knit (dk) which is equivalent to an 8ply.
- The yarn pulled easily from the centre of the ball.
- I found the larger hook more comfortable to crochet the Calypso cotton with.
- It is a nice soft cotton, with no stiffness at all.
- Nice to crochet with, with no splitting going on.
- It doesn’t seem to be a very heavy cotton, and I’m wondering if this is the best option for the belt 🤔. What do you think? Should there be a bit more weight to a belt? Please let me know your thoughts in the comment section ⬇️.
- I love how beautifully saturated the colour is and it shows up fairly accurately on the knittingco website.
- The Sirdar Calypso Cotton seems like it’s pretty true to its advertised weight.
- I noticed the website lists it as a mercerized cotton, but it does not say this anywhere on the label….and I don’t see any sheen at all.
I meant to wash both items as per the recommended instructions at 40°, but forgot and cold washed them 🙄. They came out nicely, so I guess either way is fine.
The cold may not wash as well if it’s dirty though.
I did use a more gentle cycle with a reduced spin simply because of the beads on the belt.
- Both items washed and dried well and the Calypso cotton yarn was still nice and soft after.