Ice Yarns, Elegant Metallic Cotton is an 88% cotton yarn mixed with a metallic thread, made in Turkey.
- It comes in 50g balls with 130m per ball.
- The rrp of the metallic cotton is $19.37 for a pack of 8 50 gram balls.(although this is super cheap for this amount of yarn the postage is quite steep…but still very worth it if you buy enough 😁)
- 3mm-4mm needles are recommended.
- Gauge – 10″ x 10″ equals 30 rows by 22 stitches.
- Ice Yarns are selling 18 different colours of the Metallic Cotton, which to be perfectly honest are very difficult to choose from, because they are beautiful!! 😍 The website pictures do not do justice to how they look!!
- The label recommends to wash at 30°C but gives very little extra information.
- The weight of the Ice Yarn Metallic Cotton yarn is marked and advertised as a number 2 weight (sport or baby) on the label, but I would say it is close to an 8 ply/dk.
So far I have crocheted approximately 8 headscarves with a 6mm hook in the Ice Yarn Elegant Metallic Cotton.
- With every ball, I have found the end very easy to find in the middle of the ball.
- I have found it easy to crochet with. No splitting. Using the larger hook, it starts to feel like it will get caught on the hook, but never actually does.
- I have 8 out of the 18 colours available from Ice Yarns, and I love every one of them!! If you love a bit of sparkle, you will love these.
- It’s hard to tell from the website pictures, but some of the colours have a silver thread through them and some have a similar colour metallic thread through them.
I made a couple of small swatches of the Ice Yarns Metallic Cotton just like the headbands. I wanted to see just how well the yarn held up with the metallic thread, so I washed and dried one of them 5 times. I used a normal cold wash cycle each time and just air dried. It should be noted that I did wash it with a load of other clothes of similar colour, but definitely not of a delicate nature.
- The one main difference washing made, is, it did shrink a bit.
- It didn’t seem to look much different.
- The metallic thread looks just as good as before washing, so I was happy about that. 😊
- It didn’t take very long to air dry.
- It still felt the same after washing and drying.
If you find the original pattern a little confusing, please scroll down for my version. Thanks!! 😊