Girls or women…you’ll love these colourful cotton hair scrunchies….and who wants to pay for a lovely handmade scrunchie if the elastic just breaks on you after a couple of uses?? I have tried to use quality with Goody and Scunci branded hair elastics…in the hope they will last as long as the crochet! These scrunchies have a double layer which makes them quite full. I have a single layer version available as well which is available at the Bayswater Makers Market on the 4th Saturday of each month from March through November with their Christmas market on closer to the start of the month, or you can purchase online here.
- Made with 100% mercerised cotton…which means the yarn has a nice sheen to it and the colours will stay vibrant through many washes.
- Warm machine wash. Although the yarn may be tumble dried, the elastic may or may not handle it.
Other suitable yarns:
The scrunchies have been crocheted using the following stitches.
- (ch) chain
- (sc) single crochet
- (sl st) slip stitch
- The yarn I have used is Lion Brand 24/7 cotton yarn. Click on the link for more info.
- I love how pretty these scrunchies turn out with this pattern and you can turn it into a giant scrunchie by using a heavy chunky weight acrylic yarn and using the corresponding hook size.
- If you would like to make the single layer version, just crochet Part A of the pattern.
You will find the free pattern available for download here.